Everything You Should Know Before You Say Yes
READY TO GET ENGAGED?
There is no denying that, sometimes, when you know, you just know. You have found The One and are eagerly anticipating a future of wedded bliss. It is important to take some time to be a little introspective as you consider engagement, and also talk through some things with your main squeeze. A little prep work up front paves the way for a peaceful, FUN engagement!
It is easy to get swept away in the magic of being in love – it’s fun to imagine the future with your partner and dream together. It’s also important to guide Cloud 9 to the ground for a bit to dig through some real-life questions before taking the Next Big Step. Here are some things to think about as you continue along this journey.
- Do you bring out the best in each other? Are you a healthier, happier person because of this relationship?
- Do you get along with each other’s friends and family? Of course, this is not necessarily a deal breaker, but if there IS discord among your loved ones and your beloved, take some time to identify any red flags.
- Do you want to change your partner? Everyone has bad habits, but if you are hoping for a life transformation from your significant other after you tie the knot, pause. It is one thing to grow WITH someone and another thing to wish they would become someone completely different.
- Do you feel the need to check his phone or social media accounts? Trust is paramount in a marriage. If there is not mutual respect and commitment, it may not be the right time yet.
Date Night Discussions
Use some of the QT on your date nights to talk through some hot-topic issues that will most definitely have an impact on your relationship down the road. These topics have the potential to be a bit emotionally-charged, so set some ground rules but don’t be afraid to dig deep.
- Faith – How do you both feel about the role it will play in your lives together
- Careers – Do you know each others career goals and what it will take to reach those?
- Money – Is one of you a saver and one of you a spender? How will you make financial decisions?
- Kids – Do you both want kids? If so, how soon?
- Stress – How do you each handle stressful situations?
- Arguments – Do you two fight fairly? What are your conflict resolution methods?
- The future – Are you both up for travel and relocating? Where you do want to settle?
Keep Calm and Fiancé On
Once you have that ring on your finger, life as you know it will change. Get ready for a whirlwind of celebration, amplified emotions, and memorable moments. Here are a few tips to keep in mind in the midst of the flurried excitement:
- Everyone and their mom (and especially your mom!) will want to see that sparkler on your left hand…over and over again. Get a manicure. Treat your nails to a little TLC so that ring shines in every picture.
- Forget that fantasy proposal story you had in your head or saw on YouTube. Your story is better because it’s YOURS, and nobody else’s. Decide which parts you want to tell and which parts you will keep private, and own it.
- As soon as that ring is on your finger, the world will want the scoop on every detail of your wedding. Don’t be afraid to tell them to slow their roll. Enjoy being engaged. Take a breath (and a glass of champagne) and ease into the planning process.
- Your inner circle (and anyone who has ever gotten married…or wanted to) will be so excited for you, and they may all jump in with their expert opinions about planning a wedding. Don’t forget that this is about YOU and your beloved. Choose your own path.